The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, November 12, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 22 present. Two came for FCC VE testing, see pictures below.
The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos. Jeff welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name and amateur call.
Club Business Items Discussed
- Secretary Ron Cowherd reviewed the club business from the October meeting followed by Treasurer Bruce Huyck’s report on the club’s current financial status. Both reports were moved, seconded and approved.
- It was announced that officers would be elected at the next regular club meeting, January 14th. Bruce Huyck requested that he wanted to retire from the Treasure’s office.
- President Wielgos led a discussion concerning the KY QSO Party award plaques. It appears that some progress is being made.
- Jeff Wielgos showed a video that was shot live as he constructed his new 100 ft. tower. The video was followed by a spirited discussion of the do’s and don’t’s of tower erection.
- A CW “grass roots” class for prospective CW ops is still in future plans after the holidays. The WKCTC meeting room can be available at a time of our choosing.
- We were reminded of the Annual PARA Christmas Dinner that will be held at Casa Mexicana restaurant 6pm, Monday, December 10th. The dinner will replace the December Monthly Meeting.
Net Control Operators
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
November 18 Jeff KB9BVL 11 check-ins
November 25 Frank KY4LDS 13 check-ins
December 2 Roger KC4WPS Para 14 ch-ins
December 2 Logan KG4VKB ARES 11 ch-ins
December 9 Ken KW4DI 11 check-ins
December 16 Ron K4GYD
December 23 Jason KY9I
December 30 Frank KY4LDS
January 6 Jeff KM4LDP
December 13 Ken KW4DI
ARRL International Grid Contest
New License Successes
We are happy to report that Brian Hodge and Eric Heuneman have both successfully passed the Technician class FCC exam. Congratulations to both of you. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new licenses and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on first Sunday nights.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 7:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 8:00 to get instructions. Stay tuned on these nights for info about a “Grass Roots” CW class to be organized in the near future.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- The Annual PARA Christmas Dinner will be held at Casa Mexicana restaurant 6pm, Monday, December 10th. The dinner will replace the December Monthly Meeting.
- For sale by John Hudson KO4XJ: 10 element Cushcraft 2m beam $40.