PARA Meeting Minutes 2/13/2017
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, February 13, 2017 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 23 present including 3 prospective FCC examinees. See examinee pictures and exam results below.
The meeting was opened by President Jeff Wielgos (KB9BVL). Jeff invited each attendee around the room to introduce themselves with their name and call. The Treasurer’s report was given by Bruce Huyck (KS4V). The January 2017 meeting minutes was read by Secretary Cowherd (K4GYD). Both treasurer and secretary reports were accepted, moved and seconded.
- Secretary Cowherd reported on the letter written to Kevin O’Neill, Dir. of Community Education, WKCTC. The letter was written in January to express the clubs appreciation for the use of the two classrooms in 2016. Dir. O’Neill replied with a very nice note as follows: “Ron, I received your letter this week. It is a pleasure to be able to provide space. You can rest assured that you can have the space again in 2017. We are happy to do so.” Kevin.
- There was discussion concerning the Intra-club contest. The rules are:
1) Work as many countries and states as you can during calendar year 2017, January 1, 2016 thru December 31, 2017. If your 1st contact was in February, the month the contest was announced, then you may use February 1, 2017 thru January 31, 2018.
2) Log all contacts so they may be uploaded to LOTW / EQSL for verification.3) Each verified country counts once per band, 1 point per QSO. (include RST}
- Garry Wheatley (KD4GCY) announced that the McCracken Co. ARES group is planning to sponsor another training session this spring as they did very successfully last year. The difference being, this year’s session will include training toward the FCC General Class License in addition to the Technician.
Net Control Operators
February 19 Logan KG4JXH
February 26 Frank KY4LDS
March 5 Jeff KB9VBL
March 12 Ken KW4DI
Bryan Pickering Battery Presentation
Ken Wontor (KW4DI) introduced Bryan Pickering from a local Paducah retail battery establishment that specializes in battery an light bulb sales. Their stock is extensive in both categories and repair practically all the modern day battery packs. Bryan brought us a most enlightening PowerPoint presentation covering all the parameters of understanding, maintenance and operation of lead acid batteries. Bryan suggested that more information could be found at batteryuniversity.com.
New License and Upgrade Successes
We are happy to report that three fellow hams that passed their FCC Technician exams in January, have passed their General License this February. Congratulations to all.
Left to Right: Gerald Wasko, Jay Smock, and Devon Caldwell.
Remember our next Scheduled Meeting will be Monday, March 13, 2017 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY.