PARA Meeting Minutes 8/14/2017
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, August 14, 2017 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 31 present. No one came for FCC license testing.
The meeting was opened by Club President, Jeff Wielgos. Jeff invited each attendee around the room to introduce themselves with their name and call. The usual order of business was altered this night due to a special Skype presentation presented by DX Engineering.
Mark Ludwick (W8BBQ) from DX Engineering, Akron Ohio, gave an overview of emergency communications as it relates to Amateur Radio. Mark’s comprehensive Powerpoint presentation was originally created for an amateur group that was just beginning to get prepared for emergency readiness. At the close of the prepared comments Mark took questions from our members. Our varied questions ranged from “how to recruit new, younger amateurs,” to “what is the differences between the MFJ magnetic loop antenna and the DX Engineering model and why were they so expensive?” Overall, the program was quite informative and very well received by our PARA members.
Items Discussed and Passed
The business portion of the meeting held after the presentation is as follows:
- The Treasurer’s report was given by Bruce Huyck (KS4V) followed by the Secretary’s report given by Ron Cowherd (K4GYD). Both reports were subsequently approved by unanimous vote.
- Dave Perry told of his positive experience with the new FT8 digital mode. Several others also told of their experiences.
- Logan Blewett (KG4VKB) told us that the Will Ed Winfield estate still has not disposed of his electronic equipment. If interested contact Logan: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Treasurer Huyck asked for a motion to reimburse Secretary Cowherd $30.00 which was paid to WordPress for No Adds. This guarantees that no adds will appear on the W4NJA web site for one year. The motion was made, seconded and passed.
August 20 Logan KG4VKB 14 PARA, 10 ARES
August 27 Frank KY4LDS 11 check-ins
September 3 Jeff KB9BVL 9 check-ins
September 10 Ken KW4DI 5 check-ins
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm of each month except December.
- New License and upgrades are offered at end of meetings throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click at the top of the page on About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 mhz. PL tone 179.9
Ron Cowherd (Sec. PARA) email@example.com