PARA Meeting Minutes 9/11/2017
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, September 11, 2017 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 21 present. One came for FCC license testing. See pic. below.
The meeting was opened by Club President, Jeff Wielgos (KB9BVL). Jeff invited each attendee around the room to introduce themselves with their name and call.
Items Discussed and Passed
The business portion of the meeting was as follows:
- The Treasurer’s report was given by Bruce Huyck (KS4V) followed by the Secretary’s report given by Ron Cowherd (K4GYD). Both reports were subsequently approved by unanimous vote.
- Treasurer Huyck asked for a motion to reimburse Rob Larrison $16.17 which was paid to Hover.com for the yearly W4NJA web domain. The motion was made, seconded and passed.
- Jeff announced that Bryan Pickering had asked to come back to finish a presentation on batteries that he gave February 13, 2017. His Power Point presentation covering all the parameters of understanding, maintenance and operation of lead acid batteries was most enlightening and well received. Jeff will try to schedule him for the November meeting.
- Paul Smith (ND4X) gave a positive health and welfare report concerning John Hudson’s (KO4XJ) recent shoulder replacement surgery. Several have chatted with John on 2 meters while he is recuperating.
- Mike Newman (WD4EFZ) commented on the need to inventory the Force beam antenna that is stored in his garage. Mike also gave a progress report on the new tower and beam installation soon to be erected at his location.
- Bruce Huyck passed around a thank you letter from Baptist Hospital for the memorial donation made in the name of Jerry Foland who recently became a silent key. Bruce also spoke of a new change in the FCC Form 605 (formally Form 610). When renewing or upgrading our license, we will now be required to check a yes or no box to indicate if we have ever been convicted of a felony by any state or federal court. A yes indication will not prevent you from getting your license but if you don’t answer truthfully, you may forfeit your license or lose your right to hold a license. If you check yes or fail to answer any other questions, your application may go into a holding file until the information is given.
Bruce Huyck gave a very well prepared “show and tell” session introducing the SDRPlay pan-adaptor ($99) and associated free SDRUNO computer software. Bruce showed sharp and clear Powerpoint screen shots of actual software pages to show the system’s amazing capabilities. The pan-adaptor and software require a transceiver with a USB or RS232 IF output port. Bruce followed up the demonstration by answering many questions from the club about the new technology. Thanks Bruce.
Net Control Operators for Late September/Early October
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 PL 179.9
September 17 Jay KD9HRH 10 check ins
September 24 Frank KY4LDS 7 check ins
October 1 Jeff KB9BVL 7 PARA – Logan KG4VKB 9 ARES
October 8 Ken KW4DI 7 check ins
New License and Upgrade Success
We are happy to report that David Mason earned his Technician license at the close of the September meeting. Congratulations David, well done.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm of each month except December.
- New License and upgrades are offered at end of meetings throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click at the top of the page on About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 mhz. PL tone 179.9
- Subscribe to PARA by clicking on the right side bar link: Subscribe to Paducah Amateur Radio Association by Email.
Ron Cowherd (Sec. PARA) email@example.com