PARA Meeting Minutes 3/12/2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, March 12, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 28 present, including 4 FCC Amateur License examinees.
The meeting was opened by Club President, Jeff Wielgos. The usual order of business was altered this night due to a special Skype presentation presented by DX Engineering.
Cory Gibson (W3CDG) from DX Engineering, Akron Ohio, gave a SKYPE presentation of “A Practical NVIS Antenna for Emergency or Temporary Communications.” Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS) is a propagation mode which uses high angle radiation to send signals almost straight up to be reflected back to Earth for very effective short to medium distance communications. This mode of operation makes it ideal for in-state communications during disasters or other emergency situations. The military has used NVIS techniques for decades to provide short haul communication with other units on the ground. Click WP-NVIS-Rev3 for a PDF file giving theory behind the design and construction of the antenna.
Items Discussed and Passed
Due to the meeting agenda’s unusually large number of items to be covered, the customary Secretary and Treasurer’s reports were not given. The business portion of the meeting was as follows:
- Dave Perry (N4QS) reviewed the details of PARA’s February meeting decision to sponsor the 2018 KY QSO Party. For the discussion and proceedings leading to the passing of the motion see an outline in the February Monthly Meeting.
- Dave continued this night’s meeting by leading further discussion of the QSO Party responsibilities. Discussion points: (1) W4NJA is becoming known as one of the outstanding clubs in KY. (2) importance of getting other clubs involved. (3) discuss and vote on official change of date from November to June. (4) discuss negative and positive reactions to change of date. (5) motion to change date to June was moved, seconded and approved. (6) need to design a plaque (7) resolve conflict with the Princeton Ham Fest. (7) rover operations in as many counties as possible. (8) suggested rover teams. (9) N1MM software training session (10) importance of club member participation by just getting on the air. (11) motion made, seconded and approved to make 3-2-1 power multiplier classifications.
March 18 Logan KG4VKB 10 check-ins
March 25 Frank KY4LDS 15 check-ins
April 1 Greg KY4A 10 PARA ck-ins; Logan 10 ARES
April 3 (tornado warning) Dave Dewey 13 check-ins, Don Fuller, Garry Wheatley 15 ck-ins @ WX Station.
April 8 Ken KW4DI 10 check-ins
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
ARRL International Grid Contest
(ARRL Leaderboard Results shows Ky position and Total Grid count as of 4/9/2018) 6 club members in top 25 and 11 in top 50.
1. N4QS Dave Perry, 2740 grids, 42/day; 10. AI4EY Fred Carter, 1235 grids, 17/day; 13. K4GYD Ron Cowherd, 1020 grids, 14 day; 18. KO4XJ John Hudson, 894 grids, 13/day; 20. W4WWS Steve Parmley, 785 grids, 10/day; 23. KS4V Bruce Huyck, 663 grids, 10/day; 36. KB9BVL Jeff Wielgos, 479 grids, 6/day; 40. AB4IQ, Ed Pflueger, 364 grids, 4/day; 46. KJ4CO John Chandler, 323 grids, 5/day; 47. KC4WPS Roger Good, 320 grids, 7/day; 49. KW4DI Ken Wontor, 311 grids, 4/day.
Current grid contest results may be found at: https://igc.arrl.org/leader-board.php
Kentucky QSO Party News
The PARA Kentucky QSO Party web site, kyqsoparty.org is now up and running, thanks to Paul Smith. Please check the Side Bar link often for latest news.
New License and Upgrade Successes
We are happy to report that four individuals successfully passed their FCC Amateur Radio license exams at the close of the March meeting. Results are: Kevin Hawkins and Gene Bunch became new Technicians. Roger Good and Bruce Hesley became new Generals. Congratulations to all.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm of each month except December.
- New License and upgrades are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click at the top of the page on About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9
- KY QSO Party sponsored by PARA W4NJA, June 2nd, 2018
- Field Day, Keilor Park, Paducah, June
- PARA membership fees ($20) are due and payable at a future meeting.