PARA Meeting Minutes 5/14/2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, May 14, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 24 present, including three FCC Amateur License examinees.
The meeting was opened by Club Vice President Ken Wontor. VP Wontor asked each attendee to give their name, amateur call and a report of their amateur activities during past month.
Items Discussed and Passed
The business portion of the meeting was as follows:
- Treasurer Bruce Huyck was not present and no formal report was made, however, VP Wontor reported that Keilor Park reservations had been made and the $50 fee paid.
- Ron Cowherd gave the Secretary’s summary report of the April meeting proceedings. Almost all of April business involved KYQP.
- Paul Smith led a question and answer session including comments on the set-up and operation of the N1MM logging program in reference to the KY QSO Party. Jeff Wielgos made a list of those who were planning to operate fixed, roving or portable stations, modes and counties.
- Regarding Field Day 2018: It was brought up that the mobile unit for Field Day had not been reserved yet. Ed Pflueger volunteered to contact Paducah/McCracken Co. Office of Emergency Management to reserve their Mobile Command Post facility and generators.
Net Control Operators for Late May/Early June
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
May 20 Jeff KB9BVL 12 check-ins
May 27 Frank KY4LDS 14 check-ins
June 3 Eric K4YUS 12 PARA
June 10 Steve NW9W 9 check-ins
ARRL International Grid Contest
(ARRL Leaderboard Results shows Ky position and Total Grid count as of 6/9/2018) 7 club members in top 25.
1. N4QS Dave Perry, 3953 grids; 9. AI4EY Fred Carter, 1934 grids; 14. K4GYD Ron Cowherd, 1319 grids; 15. KC4WPS Roger Good, 1268 grids; 21. KO4XJ John Hudson, 1091 grids; 24. KS4V Bruce Huyck, 975 grids; 25. W4WWS Steve Parmley, 940 grids; 45. KB9BVL Jeff Wielgos, 504 grids; 49. AB4IQ Ed Pflueger, 450 grids; 55. W4KU, Wallace Shankle, 428 grids; 57. KW4DI Ken Wontor, 412 grids; 59. ND4X Paul Smith, 392 grids; 60. NU4N Dave Tucker 392 grids; 66. KJ4CO John Chandler, 346 grids.
Current grid contest results may be found at: https://igc.arrl.org/leader-board.php
New License and Upgrade Successes
We are happy to report that three individuals successfully passed their FCC Amateur Radio license exams at the close of the May meeting. Pictured (LtoR): John Harrison and Shane Martin, both new Techs and Wayne Reid upgraded to Extra. Congratulations to all three. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new license status and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm of each month except December.
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click at the top of the page on About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9
- KY QSO Party sponsored by PARA W4NJA, June 2nd, 2018, 9 am to 9:00 pm.
- Field Day, Kyler Park, Paducah, June 23 & 24.
- PARA membership fees ($20) are due and payable at a future meeting.