PARA Meeting Minutes 7/9/2018
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, JULY 9, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 18 present. No one came for FCC VE testing.
The meeting was opened by PARA Vice President, Ken Wontor. Ken welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and relate any interesting amateur radio activities that we may had in the last month.
Items Discussed and Passed
- 2018 Field Day Photos were viewed via the very convenient overhead projector and screen. All photos were made by Ken Wontor and Ron Cowherd. Anyone that may have taken FD pictures are welcome to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be added to the 2018 FD page.
- The Treasurer’s report was given by Ken Wontor in absence of Bruce Huyck who was absent. Ron Cowherd gave the Secretary’s report which was followed by a motion to accept the two reports, seconded and passed.
- A motion was made to authorize Ed Pflueger to purchase 2 DX Engineering 4-1 baluns (approx. $190 ea.) for the next year’s Field Day RTTY and SSB stations. The motion was seconded and passed.
- Field Day score summary: QSOs: CW 793; Digital 36; phone 817. Total Points: CW 1586; Digital 73; Phone 817. Total Score = 4,950.
- Dave Perry discussed KY QSO Party award details. Decisions about plaques and certificates awards were discussed but not finalized at this time. Shane Martin, with graphics training, volunteered to create the certificates. Additional information will be available at http://www.kyqsoparty.org
Net Control Operators for Late July/Early August
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
July 15 Garry KD4GCY 12 PARA – 13 ARES
July 22 Frank KY4LDS 14 ck-ins
July 29 Frank KY4LDS 9 ck-ins
August 5 Logan KG4VKB
August 12 Frank KY4LDS 10 ck-ins
ARRL International Grid Contest
(ARRL Leaderboard Results shows Ky position and Total Grid count as of 8/13/2018) 5 club members in top 25.
1. N4QS Dave Perry, 5171 grids; 12. AI4EY Fred Carter, 2224 grids; 15. KC4WPS Roger Good, 1767 grids; 17. K4GYD Ron Cowherd, 1717 grids; 19. KS4V Bruce Huyck, 1608 grids; 22. KO4XJ John Hudson, 1393 grids; 33. W4WWS Steve Parmley, 941 grids; 48. AB4IQ Ed Pflueger, 683 grids; 50. ND4X Paul Smith, 668 grids; 62. KB9BVL Jeff Wielgos, 527 grids; 72. W4KU, Wallace Shankle, 428 grids; 75. N4FZ Gene Summers 416 grids; 76. KW4DI Ken Wontor, 412 grids; 80. NU4N Dave Tucker 396 grids; 85. KJ4CO John Chandler, 346 grids; 86. W4NJA 343.
Current grid contest results may be found at: https://igc.arrl.org/leader-board.php
- The August PARA meeting will feature a special Skype presentation on grounding by DX Engineering. This will be the 3rd time for the very informative live event. We need a good attendance for this meeting because the speaker will be able to see us.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December.
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9
- 2018 Field Day Photos
- PARA membership fees ($10 pro-rated at this time) payable at a future meeting.