The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, September 10, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 24 present. Three came for FCC VE testing, see pictures below.
The meeting was opened by PARA Vice President, Ken Wontor. Ken welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and relate any interesting amateur radio activities that they may had in the last month.
Club Business Items Discussed
- Treasurer Bruce Huyck reported on the club’s current financial status.
- Secretary Ron Cowherd reviewed last month’s major discussion items including news about the CW roundtable which meets Tues. & Thurs. 8:00 pm. Participants first meet on the 147.060 repeater to choose the 40 mtr. freq. (+ or – 7.055 or so) and order of rotation before the roundtable begins. We are still discussing a time and meeting place for a grass-roots CW class. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jason KY9I, discussed his experiences with CW Academy and how the practice techniques he is learning can benefit our club.
- Kyle Walker (K4KMW) led a discussion on the KY Fusion Digital Network, which meets at 7:00 CST, on the local 147.12 MH machine. Kyle’s discussion was followed by a 15 min, Yaesu promotional Fusion video brought in by Ken Wontor KW4DI.
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
September 16 Eric K4YUS 10 Ck-ins
September 23 Jason KY9I 15 Ck-ins
September 30 Frank KY4LDS 18 Ck-ins
October 7 Ken KW4DI 14 Ck-ins
October 7 Logan KG4VKB 10 Ck-ins ARES
ARRL International Grid Contest
1. N4QS Dave Perry, 6648 grids; 13. AI4EY Fred Carter, 2459 grids; 16. KS4V Bruce Huyck, 2224 grids; 18. KC4WPS Roger Good, 1957 grids; 19. K4GYD Ron Cowherd, 1769 grids; 24. KO4XJ John Hudson, 1547 grids; 46. W4WWS Steve Parmley, 941 grids; 48. ND4X Paul Smith, 899 grids; 50. AB4IQ Ed Pflueger, 830 grids; 66. KB9BVL Jeff Wielgos, 529 grids; 67. NU4N Dave Tucker 529 grids; 82. W4KU, Wallace Shankle, 428 grids; 83. N4FZ Gene Summers 418 grids; 84. KW4DI Ken Wontor, 412 grids; 94. KJ4CO John Chandler, 346 grids; 96. W4NJA 343.
Current grid contest results may be found at: https://igc.arrl.org/leader-board.php
New License Success
We are happy to report that Mark Wilson successfully passed the General class FCC exam. Marton Wilson and Edward Paulk passed the Technician class exam. Congratulations to all. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new licenses and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 8:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 8:00 to get instructions.
- For sale by John Hudson KO4XJ: SDRPLAY RSP2. I bought this last fall but decided I didn’t need it. $125 plus shipping or P/U in Paducah area.
- Also For sale by John Hudson KO4XJ: 10 element 2m beam Cushcraft $40.