The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, April 8, 2019 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 28 members and guests present. The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos. Jeff welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and total contacts made since the last club meeting. Two came for FCC VE testing, see pictures below.
Club Business Items Discussed
- Secretary Ron Cowherd read the Treasurer’s Report in absence of Bruce Huyck.
- The Secretary’s report followed with a review of items covered at the March meeting. Both reports were accepted by acclamation.
- A motion was made and passed to reimburse Dave Perry $227.06 for shipping expenses of the award plaques. With all expenses paid, there was a surplus of $22 due to contributions to the project. Dave told of several positive comments had been made to him to him concerning the quality of the plaques.
- Comments were made about the participation of some 19 local amateurs that monitored the W4NJA repeater giving visual reports during the tornado outbreak. The net was not formally activated but our live comments demonstrated our valuable readiness. One of the night’s attendees told us that our observations were 4 to 5 minutes ahead of the Massac Co. area where his wife was teaching. The lead time gave the students time to get prepared. It was later determined that the tornado went over their school, fortunately without harm or a touchdown. Jeff explained why warnings may be delayed as the information is disseminated through the system. Our observations are invaluable in that respect.
- Garry Wheatley announced that the next VOAD general meeting would be at the MSU campus, 6 pm, Thursday, May 9th.
- Field Day, Keiler Park, June 22-23, preparations were discussed. CW OPs needed.
- Club President Jeff showed us a detailed video of his well equipped station and new antenna installation. The presentation was very well done, a great model for others to show off their stations too. Thanks Jeff,
- Charlie Richey announced that the Massac area amateur radio group, 1st and 2nd of May, at the Metropolis fire department, is planning to have radio classes for new prospective hams. Charlie also spoke of the new MHS radio club and the success that it is having.
- Ed Pflueger passed around the 10 most sought after DX QSL cards that he has proudly earned.
NET CONTROL OPERATORS
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
April 14 Jeff KB9BVL 15 ck-ins
April 21 Frank KY4LDS 12 ck-ins
April 28 Jay KD9HR 13 ck-ins
May 5 Jeff KM4LDP 14 ck-ins
May 5 Logan KG4VKB 9 ARES ck-ins
May 12 Ken KW4DI 12 ck-ins
New License Successes
We are happy to report that Mauri Fiorentini has successfully passed the Technician class FCC exam left. pic. and Michael Burr, rt. pic. has upgraded to General. Congratulations to both of you. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new licenses and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site. For info, click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on first Sunday nights.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 7:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 7:00 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- 2019 KYQSO Party scheduled for Saturday, June 1, 2019.
- 2019 ARRL Field Day, June 22-23, 2019. Set up 9:00 a.m. Saturday, 22nd.
- VOAD general meeting, MSU (Paducah campus), 6 pm, Thursday, May 9th.