The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, July 9, 2019 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 18 members and guests present. One came for FCC VE testing, see picture below. The meeting was opened by PARA Vice President, Ken Wontor. Ken welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and tell of their radio activities during the past month. Ken didn’t have a planned program but his entertaining humor kept us “in stitches.”
Club Business Items
- Ron Cowherd gave both the Treasurer’s Report and Secretaries Report. The highlight of the Treasurer’s report was the Field day expenses totaling only $133.73 to date. This was much less than the $500 that was alloted for the event. The Secretaries report was brief in that June’s meeting was mainly concerned with the preparations for Field Day held June 22nd & 23rd.
- We were reminded that the Treasurer’s position needed to be filled due to Bruce Huyck’s resignation of the office after several years of outstanding service. Volunteers were called for and fortunately Roger Good, KC4WPS agreed to be considered for the office. A motion was made to accept Roger, seconded and followed by an unanimous vote of approval to select Roger for the job. Congratulations Roger and thank you for accepting this important position.
- Paul Smith reviewed the scores from this years Field Day Event compared to past years. Our scores were down this year but everyone agreed that we did quite well considering the loss of several hours of operating time due to two strong storms that past through Keiler Park during the 24 hour contest. See the compiled results below.
Net Control Operators
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
July 14 Jeff KM4LDP 10 PARA ck-ins
July 21 Roger KC4WPS 10 PARA ck-ins
July 28 Frank KY4LDS 15 PARA ck-ins
August 4 Logan KG4VKB 9 PARA ck-ins
August 4 Garry KD4GCY 9 ARES ck-ins
August 11 Ken KW4DI 8 PARA ck-ins
New License Success
We are happy to report that Adam Largent, picture below, successfully passed the Technician class FCC exam. Congratulations Adam. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new license and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrade exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 7:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 7:00 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- 2019 ARRL Field Day, June 22-23, 2019. Set up 9:00 a.m. Saturday, 22nd. Take down 1:00 p.m. Sunday.
- VOAD general meeting, MSU (Paducah campus), 6 pm, Thursday, June 6th. The MSU campus is located just off Audubon drive via a short street behind First Christian Church.
W4NJA 2019 Field Day Summary with past year comparison
Field Day Slide Show