The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, August 12, 2019 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 21 members and guests present. Two came for FCC VE testing. The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos KB9BVL. Jeff welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and tell of their radio activities during the past month.
Club Business Items
- Ron Cowherd gave the Secretary’s Report. The highlight of the report was that Roger Good KC4WPS, who was voted our new Treasurer, is now fully accredited and ready to take our money. HI HI.
- Roger Good gave his first Treasurers Report and happily reported that we are still in the black. Great report Roger. We appreciate your service.
- Charlie Richey (K9DUE) from the Metropolis Amateur Radio Club gave us a report of the excellent work that is being done in Metropolis. Evidently the club is on fire, bringing in many new hams to the hobby as well as a new repeater. The student interest and school administration support is phenomenal. We wish them continued success and we are very happy to have Metropolis club members participating in PARA meetings and activities.
- The Metropolis Amateur Radio Club repeater is now operational at 146.655 minus, PL 179.9
Net Control Operators
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
August 18 Jeff KB9BVL 12 ck-ins
August 25 Jeff KM4LDP 16 ck-ins
September 1 Frank KY4LDS 9 ck-ins
September 8 Steve NW9W 10 ck-ins
New License Successes
We are happy to report that Cory Trovillion (KB9VKZ) successfully upgraded to the Extra class license. Keith Oakley (KD4QKO) upgraded to General Class. Congratulations Cory and Keith. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new license and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrade exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 7:00 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.