The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, October 14, 2019 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 18 members and guests present. No one came for FCC VE testing. The meeting was opened by PARA Vice President, Ken Wontor KW4DI. Ken welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and tell of their amateur radio activities since the last meeting. Paul Smith brought to our attention that we should recognize Charlie Richey’s outstanding hard work and leadership with the growth of amateur radio in Metropolis. A big round of applause from PARA was given.
Club Business Items
- Ron Cowherd gave the Secretary’s Report, It was moved, seconded and voted to accept the Secretary’s minutes.
- Roger Good, announced that there were $0.00 expenditures and $500 in new revenue since last report which allowed us to fully pay for the new KYQSO plaques. Roger suggested that our $500 12 month CD is scheduled to mature November 11th. He suggested that we add an additional $500 to the CD and reinvest for 16 months. That would leave us with $1,600 cash for club activities. We were reminded that club membership dues are coming up January 1st that will bring in additional revenue. After a short discussion, it was moved and second to accept Roger’s suggestion followed by a vote to accept the Treasurer’s Report.
- Garry Wheatley told us that the Paducah National Weather Service has a new director. The new director has commented that he wants to expand the use of amateur radio volunteer resources to improve instantaneous feedback between the NWS and more remote sites during severe weather. After a lengthy discussion a motion was made for Garry to serve as liaison between PARA and the Paducah NWS.
Ken closed meeting with the following useful info: Repeater Maps – an app to give repeater location data as you travel. Google Play Store version 19.10.11 Repeater Book
QRP GUYS WEB Page Go to devices DSB qrpguys.com Go to devices Qrpguys 40 30 20 DSB Digital Transceiver Kit $40 https://qrpguys.com/digital-transceiver
Net Control Operators
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
October 20 Steve NW9W 17 PARA Ck-ins
October 27 Frank KY4LDS 18 PARA Ck-ins
November 3 Roger KC4WPS 13 PARA Ck-ins
November 3 Logan KG4VKB 11 ARES Ck-ins
November 10 Ken KW4DI 14 PARA Ck-ins
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrade exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 7:00 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 PL179.9, 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8