The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, January 13, 2020 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 22 members and guests present. No one came for FCC VE testing. The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos KB9BVL. Jeff welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name, amateur call and tell of any amateur equipment that they may have received for Christmas.
Club Business Items
- Secretary Ron Cowherd read the minutes from the October meeting, the last regular business meeting of 2019. Motion to accept minutes was made, seconded and passed.
- Treasurer Roger KC4WPS brought us up to date with the club’s finances. Roger told us that at the end of 2019 we had a positive cash flow of $857 over the previous year. Following the clubs instructions from the last meeting, he renewed the current $500 CD along with an additional $500 and purchased a 60 month CD which improved the interest rate from 1% to 1.85%. A motion was made, seconded and passed to accept the Treasurer’s Report.
- Paul Smith, ND4XA explained that we realized a $300 profit due to other KY clubs that donated toward the expense of the award plaques.
- President Jeff brought us up to date on the association of the National Weather System and Amateur Radio. Jeff had spent over 4 hours at the weather station operating their ham station during the NWS nationwide QSO party/contest.
- There was some discussion about the election of officers for 2020. We normally elect officers in January, but since we didn’t have Vice President Ken Wontor present at this time, it was decided to delay the election until the February meeting when perhaps all the current officers could be present. Jeff, Ron and Roger agreed to continue to serve in their respective positions for 2020 if no one else was nominated.
- There was a brief discussion about plans for the 2020 KY QSO Party. Ed Pflueger reported that the plaques are under construction. Paul Smith said volunteers are needed regarding various logging requirements, much of which is already mechanized. Dave Perry will also participate in the same capacity as last year. The date is June 6, 2020, first Saturday in June. Same as last year.
- Garry Wheatley announced that The McCracken County Amateur Radio Emergency Services group will be offering a class for acquiring the FCC Technician License. The Tech Class will be a two part presentation with the official test given at the close of the second class period. The first class will be Thursday Feb. 20th. Starting at 6:00 PM. The second class will be Saturday Feb. 22nd. Starting at 9:00 AM, with testing about noon time. Both classes will be conducted at the Ledbetter Vol. Fire Dept. located at 1481 US-60, Ledbetter, KY 42058. If interested, you may reply to KJ4OKY@gmail.com to register or obtain additional information.
Michael Durr (KN4TIP), brought us an outstanding presentation entitled “Talking to the Birds.” The subject of amateur satellite communication was thoroughly covered in a very short 30 minute period. Michael used printed documentation, visual media and personal experience to cover this very interesting topic. See the following link: https://1drv.ms/p/s!AkcUWDGnpyTk7XvzbYRrHV-edADW His home-brew 5 element, 2 band (VHF/UHF) “hand-held tape measure yagi” was quite impressive. In addition, Michael surprised us with a multiple answer, 10 question “pop quiz” at the close of his program. Jim Ruud (AK4PS) received a reward for being the only one who correctly answered all the questions. Thank you Michael, for giving us a great overview of yet another one of Amateur Radio’s many facets.
NET CONTROL OPERATORS
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
January 19 Roger KC4WPS 8 PARA ck-ins
January 26 Jeff KB9BVL 9 PARA ck-ins
February 2 Michael KN4TIP 12 PARA ck-ins
February 9 Jeff KB9BVL 22 PARA ck-ins
February 9 Logan KG4VKB 11 ARES ck-ins
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrade exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 7:00 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 PL179.9, 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8