The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held 7:00 PM, Monday, April 13, 2020 via the W4NJA repeater in Paducah, KY. This experimental virtual meeting was necessary due to the Covid-19 pandemic which required the closure of public buildings and social distancing.
25 members and guests were checked in. The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos KB9BVL. The historic meeting had elements of both an emergency net and a formal club meeting. Jeff welcomed us and then asked each attendee to check-in by the order of the first letter of their call sign suffix.
Club Business Items
- The Treasurer’s report was given by President Wielgos due to Treasurer Roger Good’s illness.
- Secretary Ron Cowherd read the minutes which reviewed the business items of the March 9th meeting.
- We found it difficult to make any definite plans concerning the KY QSO Party and Field Day not knowing how long the pandemic restrictions were going to be in place. There was discussion about how we could proceed with alternate locations. However, without knowing the future it was decided to wait till next month’s meeting and hope that we would know more by then.
Items of interest being discussed on the W4NJA repeater since last virtual meeting.
- Garry Wheatley, KD4GCY, on behalf of the club, is trying to determine the best frequency for local ops to meet simplex. For those who are interested, Garry will host the next meeting at 7:00 pm, Tuesday, May 12 with other bands and modes to explore. Tune in to the W4NJA repeater for instructions at 7:00 pm.
- Paul Smith ND4X, reminds us that the Kentucky QSO Party will happen June 6-7, 2020. 14:00 UTC June 6 until 02:00 UTC, June 7 (09:00 AM CDST) – (9:00 Pm CDST) Saturday, June 6. See www.kyqsoparty.org for additional information.
- The National Weather Service Office in Paducah will be giving a free webinar mini course covering subjects such as “Tornado Extreme Risks” and “A Guide to Basic Radar Products using RadarApps.” Click on the following link for more info: https://www.weather.gov/pah/NWSMiniCourses
- Paducah Amateur Radio Association virtual meeting will be held 7:00 PM, Monday, May 11, 2020 via the W4NJA repeater in Paducah, KY.
NET CONTROL OPERATORS
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
April 19 Michael KN4TIP 16 PARA ck-ins
April 26 Frank KY4LDS 14 PARA ck-ins
May 3 Steve NW9W 17 PARA ck-ins
May 10 Jeff KB9BVL 19 PARA ck-ins
May 10 Logan KG4VKB 9 ARES ck-ins
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings. (Monday
- New License and upgrade exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8