The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held 7:00 PM, Monday, July 13, 2020 via the ZOOM app. This virtual meeting was necessary due to the Covid-19 pandemic which required the closure of public buildings and social distancing. 15 members and guests were checked in. The meeting was opened by PARA Treasurer, Roger Good (KC4WPS).
Club Business Items
- Both the Secretary and the Treasurer’s reports were were read by Secretary, Ron Cowherd and Treasurer, Roger Good. A call for motions to accept reports were made, and subsequently both were voted to accept.
- Secretary Cowherd read excerpts from a letter to PARA from Tina Clark, Administrative Assistant at WKCTC, which listed requirements that are in place for the use of meeting rooms ETC 141 and ETC 140. For example, 6 ft social distancing, no more than 15 people + instructor, a list of those attending to be submitted in advance to security. Those not listed will not be able able to enter the building. We just assumed we would continue with Zoom until further notice.
- Logan Blewett (KG4VKB) invited PARA to meet at his home/business on the next August 10th meeting date. Logan explained that he had plenty of room because the building was originally constructed as a Methodist Church with ample meeting space in the sanctuary and examinations in fellowship hall. The church is located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
- Richard Odell Perry, 89, Father of fellow ham, Dave Perry, N4QS, passed from this life July 7, 2020. It was moved and voted to make a monetary donation in Richard Perry’s name to the Mayo Clinic in keeping with the family’s wishes.
- There was much discussion about whether anything had been done about plaques for the last QSO Party. No one present knew for sure, so the only decision made was that it was time to do something about it. After the meeting, Ron Cowherd talked with Wallace Shankle (W4KU) who has been our contact person for the construction of the plaques in past years. He said that all he needed was to get the official go-ahead from the club and he will put it into motion. He needs to know how many plaques we will be needed. It was discussed in the June meeting that due to the success with numbers of entries in the 2020 KYQSO Party, perhaps more plaques may be needed, but nothing definite was decided.
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
July 19 Michael KN4TIP 14 ck-ins
July 26 Roger KC4WPS 18 ck-ins
August 2 Logan KG4VKB 16 PARA
August 2 Logan KG4VKB 13 ARES
August 9 Frank KY4LDS
August 16 Jeff KB9BVL
- PARA meetings are 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. The next meeting (August 10) will be at Logan Blewett’s home/church located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
- New License and upgrade exams will offered now that we have Logan Blewett’s facility. Address above. Exams or normally given at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are normally held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, however the next meeting will be on July 23rd, to be located at Logan Blewett’s home/church located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8