The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held 7:00 PM, Monday, June 8, 2020 via the ZOOM app. This virtual meeting was necessary due to the Covid-19 pandemic which required the closure of public buildings and social distancing. 17 members and guests were checked in. The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos, KB9BVL. The meeting had elements of both an emergency net and a formal club meeting.
PARA Lunch Bunch@Michael’s Pizza (6/11/2020) L to R: Ron Cowherd (K4GYD) Garry Wheatley (KD4GCY) Jeff Wielgos, (KB9BVL) Ed Sobkowiak (AC9OO) Ed Pflueger (AB4IQ) Roger Good (KC4WPS) Wallace Shankle (W4KU) Paul Smith (ND4X) Don Fuller (KC4DR) Guest grandson & John Hudson(KO4XJ)
Club Business Items
- The Treasurer’s report was given by Treasurer Roger Good. Roger reminded us there are 10 club members who have not paid their dues for this year.
- President Jeff Wielgos read the Secretary’s report prepared by Sec. Ron Cowherd. The minutes reviewed the business items of the May 11th virtual meeting which was concerned primarily with the KY QSO Party and Field Day.
- Motion made and 2nd to accept the Secretary and Treasure report.
- The June 8th meeting continued the discussion of the previous month but nothing was discussed concerning the location of a 2020 Field Day site. Jeff reviewed the ARRL’s decision to allow a change of rules concerning item 1D.
- Many comments were made concerning the interpretation of 1D rules, logging of contacts and how ARRL will score 1D contacts this year.
- Jeff proposed that we take advantage of this years 1D ruling. Of those commenting it appeared that all were planning to operate from home stations, several with generators for additional bonus points.
- Secretary Cowherd commented that he he would take care of the publicity. However, as it turned out, The Paducah Sun did not respond as it has done in past years.
- The balance of the meeting concerned the success of the Kentucky QSO Party which was held on June 6-7.
Important message from Roger Good (KC4WPS): Regularly scheduled PARA club meetings will be ZOOM produced until further notice each 2nd Monday of the month@7 pm until further notice. Please sign up as a user prior to the meeting!
Join Zoom Meeting by clicking on link below and enter ID and Password below.
Meeting ID: 952 7371 3934 Password: w4nja
Net Control Operators
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
June 14 Frank KY4LDS 8 PARA Ck-ins
June 21 Roger KC4WPS 14 PARA Ck-ins
June 28 Frank KY4LDS 13 PARA Ck-ins
July 5 Logan KG4VKB 15 PARA Ck-ins
July 5 Logan KG4VKB 10 ARES Ck-ins
July 12 Dave W4WKN 15 PARA Ck-ins
- When Covid19 restrictions are cancelled PARA will resume meeting at the Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrade exams will not be offered until we get back in the WKCTC facility. Exams or normally given at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8