The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held 7:00 PM, Monday, August 10, 2020 at the home/business of Amy and Logan Blewett (KG4VKB). There were 11 present in the auditorium and 7 on Zoom. The location provided ample room because the building was originally constructed as a Methodist Church with available meeting space in the sanctuary and fellowship hall. The church is located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
Masks and social distancing, as per the Governor’s edicts, was observed. Garry Wheatley (KD4GCY) hosted a ZOOM link for members who could not be present.
The meeting was opened and hosted by PARA Treasurer, Roger Good (KC4WPS).
Club Business Items
The Secretary’s report was given by Ron Cowherd (K4GYD). In addition to a review of the past month’s business Ron related a phone call from the office of WKCTC Workforce Solutions stating that the rooms we usually use for monthly meetings would not be available through the end of September. They will call us back before October 1st to report the status of the facilities depending on state pandemic rules which may be less strict by then. Fortunately, Logan offered his facilities until we can move back to the college.
The Treasurer’s report was given by Roger Good. Both the Secretary and Treasurer reports were moved to a vote and accepted.
- A good bit of time was spent discussing KY QSO matters. The last two years we have awarded 10 wooden plaques to the winners of the KY QSO party. This year, the coordinators felt we should expand it to 15 winners. Roger made a motion to increase the number of winners from 10 to 15. The motion passed.
- This year we have two sources of wooden plaques. The wood blanks in the shape of the state of KY as used last year were very labor intensive due to sanding, staining and sealing and required acquisition of engraved plates before mailing out. The new source was less expensive and would come to us ready to be mailed. A motion was made by Roger to accept the second source of 15 red oak, laser engraved, ready to drop in the mail plaques. The motion was passed.
- We’ve had sponsors for the 10 plaques awarded for the last two years. A motion by Roger was made to hold the price of sponsorship of the plaques at $50. The motion was voted on and passed.
- A motion was made by Paul Smith to add a line item to the Treasurer’s report to keep income from the KY QSO Party as a separate fund from the general fund – Passed.
Bruce, KS4V, gave the program for the night. He has been building projects from kits over the covid-19 lock down and shared his success with us.
Motion to adjourn, Passed, next month meeting will again be held at Logan’s home/business. See Remember below for street address and time.
Ron Cowherd, W4NJA website administrator, expresses his appreciation to Roger Good for assisting with web page information for the August Monthly Meeting.
From Dave (N4QS) The KYQP and PARA were recognized in this week’s addition of the ARRL Contest Update. Scroll down and click on the link for Results (about half way in the list of links below). This extra publicity about this year’s results will help to build participation for next year! See link below:
Important info from Charlie Richey (K9DUE): Notes from living in ground zero of a derecho. https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/comments/idulfz/notes_from_living_in_ground_zero_of_a_derecho/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
NET CONTROL PARA/ARES OPERATORS
Sunday night PARA nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9. ARES net follows Sunday PARA net, same frequency, 1st Sunday of the month.
August 16 – Jeff KM4LDP 14 ck-ins
August 23 – Jeff KB9BVL 15 ck-ins
August 30 – Frank KY4LDS 11 ck-ins
September 6 – Logan KG4VKB 16 PARA ck-ins
September 6 – Logan KG4VKB 16 ARES ck-ins
September 13 – Michael KN4TIP 17 ck-ins
- PARA meetings are 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. The next meeting (September 14) will be at Logan Blewett’s home/church located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop. Covid-19 masks and distance rules observed.
- New License and upgrade exams will offered now that we have Logan Blewett’s facility. Address above. Exams or normally given at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting.
- Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are normally held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, however the next meeting will be on Sept. 17th, to be located at Logan Blewett’s home/church located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
- Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
- Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8