The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association (PARA) was held, 7:00 PM, Monday, October 12, 2020 with Roger Good (KC4WPS) in charge of the single ZOOM link (45 minutes). The meeting was opened and hosted by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos (KB9BVL). 13 members were checked in.
The Secretary’s Report of the September meeting was given by Ron Cowherd and the Treasurer’s Report was given by Roger Good.
Club Business Items:
There was discussion about the KY QSO Party. The September meeting voted not to sponsor KY QSO Party this year. Roger Good reported that ND4Y (Harlan) & N4TY (Georgetown) have expressed an interest and are thinking about taking over the administration of the KY QSO Party.
- There was quite a bit of discussion concerning a Christmas party this year. A motion was made and passed to postpone the 2020 Christmas party in favor of an outside 2021 spring picnic/swap meet, etc.
- President Wielgos voiced his concern about a lack of club meeting attendance and the lack of younger member’s within the PARA club. A number of suggestions were offered to increase interest and membership.
- It was suggested that we should monitor the .06 repeater to welcome and give new hams the opportunity to make simple contacts early in their amateur radio experience. Michael (KN4TIP) sent us an email plea, “Join with myself and others to strive for “No Call Unanswered!” during daylight hours, seven days a week. I’m sure nearly all of you have a 2m HT… let’s turn them on and make radio fun for the new guys. I tried truly believe we will see an increase in interest.”
- It was also suggested that we include interesting demonstrations in meetings such as kit building and antenna building.
- It was also noted that the count of the Sunday night PARA Emergency training net has held up well with as many as 21 check-ins the previous Sunday.
- Everyone agreed that the Covid19 effect has had a lot to do with low club attendance.
NET CONTROL OPERATORS
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
October 18 – Roger KC4WPS 17 ck-ins
October 25 – Frank KY4LDS 18 ck-ins
November 1 – Michael KN4TIP 21 PARA ck-ins
November 1 – Logan KG4VKB 19 ARES ck-ins
November 8 – Jeff KB9BVL 16 ck-ins
PARA meetings happen each month on the 2nd Monday, 7 pm, except December. President Wielgos Jeff suggested that we should plan on future ZOOM monthly meetings until Covid19 subsides. Roger Good will email ZOOM app instructions, ID and password, before each meeting date to those who are on the member list.
New License and upgrade exams will be offered. Address above. Exams or normally given at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting. Please notice: We probably won’t be able to administer exams until we are able to resume use of the WKCTC facility.
Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month. Echo Link check-ins are welcome.
CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) meetings are normally held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, however the next meeting will be on October 22nd, to be located at Logan Blewett’s home/church located at 227 Farley Place, Paducah, 42003. Farley Place is just off Clements St. which connects Bridge Street with I-24 loop.
Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8
Metropolis Ham Study Class: October 3rd, 0900 TO 1400, Grace Church, 10th street, Study.org. Review session with test to follow. 90% pass rate, email Charlie Richey (K9DUE) or call (618) 309-6911 to preregister. Questions answered at same number.
Wickliffe, recently put a new repeater (KA9SKT) on line, using the same machine that was formally located at Cairo, IL, using the same freq. (147.180 mh.), and tone (88.5 PL).