The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association (PARA) was held, 7:00 PM, Monday, 11, 2021 with Roger Good (KC4WPS) in charge. The virtual meeting was opened and hosted by PARA Treasurer, Roger Good. There were 15 members in attendance.
Club Business Items:
- The Secretary’s Report of the September meeting was given by Ron Cowherd and the Treasurer’s Report was given by Roger Good. A motion was made to accept the two reports and subsequently were unanimously voted to accept.
- Several topics were discussed concerning the inability to meet together. Secretary Cowherd reported a recent discussion from the office of the WKCTC Dir. of Community Ed. who advised that the two rooms in the Emerging Technology Center would not be available in the foreseeable future. However, we will be welcome and notified when when Covid conditions improve.
- Several locations were mentioned and the suggestion made that perhaps we should organize a group to look into a place to have live meetings again. The question was asked whether more people would meet in live environment than meeting virtually. After quite bit of discussion, a poll of those present was taken by a show of hands and we found about half of us did not feel comfortable attending together live at this time. Roger, expressed the feelings of all of us that we miss the social aspects of live meetings but we probably should continue with the Zoom setup for now.
- A motion was made to suspend the election of officers for the 2021 year until we have a better representation of club members. The question was asked as to whether we had a quorum for voting. Treasurer reported that presently there are 21 paid members and 15 present, therefore, the quorum requirement was met. The motion was seconded and passed by the members present.
- Paul Smith (N4DX) reported that Kentucky Contest Group had agreed to take over the KY QSO Party. Paul sent them them the paper work and has the opinion that the group will do a good job.
NET CONTROL OPERATORS
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 MHZ. PL 179.9
January 17 – Jeff KB9BVL – 16 ck-ins
January 24 – Michael KN4TIP – 15 ck-ins
January 31 – Frank KY4LDS – 22 ck-ins
February 7 – Steve NW9W – 14 ck-ins
February 7 – Logan KG4VKB – 14 ARES ck-ins
PARA meetings happen each month on the 2nd Monday, 7 pm, except December. President Wielgos Jeff suggested that we should plan on future ZOOM monthly meetings until Covid19 subsides. Roger Good will email ZOOM app instructions, ID and password, before each meeting date to those who are on the member list. The next PARA meeting will be February 8, 2021.
New License and upgrade exams are normally given at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site for info. Click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing. Also, you may call Fred Carter (AI4EY) and leave a message at (270)210-3628 if you wish to take a test at the next meeting. Please notice: We probably won’t be able to administer exams until we are able to resume use of the WKCTC facility. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
The Sunday Night PARA Emergency Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on the first Sunday night of each month. Echo Link check-ins are welcome.
CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 6:30 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 6:30 to get instructions.
Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) meetings are normally held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays . The next meeting will “not” be at Logan Blewett’s home facility but will be on ZOOM.
Metropolis net Thursdays 8:15, 146.655 – 600, PL179.9, The Massac club call is now known as W9DUE. 147.225 is old repeater freq.
Draffenville net Wednesdays 9:00 145.390 PL118.8
Wickliffe, recently put a new repeater (KA9SKT) on line, using the same machine that was formally located at Cairo, IL, using the same freq. (147.180 mh.), and tone (88.5 PL).