Minutes for PARA Meeting of November 8, 2021
Club President Garry, KD4GCY presided and called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m., and led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance to the US Flag.
Club Scribe Ruben, WB5WTF, read the Minutes of the September 2021 meeting to the membership. Paul, ND4X made a motion to approve the Minutes as read and Jeff, KM4LDP seconded the motion. The motion was voted on and carried.
Club Treasurer Roger, KC4WPS, read the Financial report to the membership. Ruben, WB5WTF made a motion to approve the Report as read and Jeff, KM4LDP seconded it. The motion was voted on and carried.
There was one guest, Greg, KI4ESK who was introduced to the membership.
President Garry announced there will be no regular meeting in December and that we will meet at Casa Mexicana on Village Square Drive for the Club’s annual Christmas party. That will be at 6:00 p.m., on Monday, December 13th.
President Garry led the membership in discussion on the following topics:
- The earthquake presentation that took the place of the regular club meeting in October; and
- The October 30th statewide Simulated Exercise Training (SET) using 2-meter simplex.
President Garry advised that on November 5th, there was a local hospital exercise in which Mike Hicks, N9ARK set up a pretend triage area and had a second communications trailer used for it. Contacts were made on 20 meters, 40 meters as well as 2 meter and 440. He emphasized a need to establish a point of contact at Lourdes Hospital to get them involved.
Garry introduced us to “Ham Shack Hotline,” which is a dedicated Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VOIP) network which is free to amateur radio operators around the world. After informing us about the concepts, he said we could learn more by researching ham shack hotline.
Announcements from Garry:
- There is a Winter Weather training session on December 2nd at 6:00 p.m., conducted by the National Weather Service that you can sign up for on their website.
- PARA will be electing club officers at the January meeting.
- There is local area testing of WinLink that will be on Zoom on December 16th. Garry encouraged us to get familiar with and up and going on WinLink.
Net Control Operator assignments were made and the formal portion of the meeting was adjourned, with some members leaving for the license testing, and some members staying for a training session conducted by Frank, KY4LDS.