The regularly scheduled meeting of the Paducah Amateur Radio Association was held Monday, October 08, 2018 at the WKCTC Emerging Technology Center, Room 140, in Paducah, KY. There were 23 present. Two came for FCC VE testing, see pictures below.
The meeting was opened by PARA President, Jeff Wielgos. Jeff welcomed us and asked each attendee around the room to give their name and amateur call.
Club Business Items Discussed
- Treasurer Bruce Huyck reported on the club’s current financial status followed by the Secretary’s report. Both reports were moved, seconded and approved.
- Ken Wontor announced that he had spoken with the director of the Emerging Technologies Center and found that our meeting room, #104, or another room could be used for the “grass-roots” CW class. We should choose the date and time and let him know. Prospective participants should tune in to the PARA CW roundtable which meets Tuesday & Thursday evenings, 8:00 pm on the W4NJA 147.060 repeater for info concerning the day and time of the new class.
- Quite a bit of time was spent discussing the fact that apparently the KYQSO Party plaque awards construction and shipping had not been finished. It was not clear who was was in charge of the final construction of the plaques regarding use of engraving or brass plate attachment. It was felt that the slowness of this presentation would subtract from the overall success of the event.
- The question was asked about a date and place for the PARA annual Christmas dinner. Ed Pflueger will check with Casa Mexicana to see if the reservation was made last year and if not make the reservation for this year’s date: Monday, December 11th.
- It was announced that a Mayfield group had put 3 new repeaters on the air: frequency 441.875, +179.9, analog or Fusion digital; 145.270 -179.9, analog or Fusion digital and 224.820, -179.9, analog only.
Net Control Operators for Late October/Early November
Sunday night nets are at 9:00 PM on 147.060 Mhz. PL 179.9
October 14 Jeff KB9BVL
October 21 Roger KC4WPS
October 28 Frank KY4LDS
November 4 Jeff KM4LDP
November 11 Ken KW4DI
ARRL International Grid Contest
New License Successes
We are happy to report that Glenn “Butch” Durrett and Carol Brown have both successfully passed the Technician class FCC exam. Congratulations to both of you. We cordially invite you to enjoy your new licenses and join us at future monthly meetings.
- PARA meets at Emerging Technology Center, WKCTC on 2nd Monday, 7 pm, each month except December. Prospective hams in search of general info concerning the hobby may Google ARRL.com and click on relevant headings.
- New License and upgrades exams are offered at the close of each meeting night throughout the year. See W4NJA web site at w4nja.org. For info click button at the top of the page: About Us, then VE License Testing.
- The Sunday Night Net meets each Sunday night at 9 PM. All amateur radio operators are invited to check in. 147.060 PL 179.9 The ARES monthly net convenes immediately following PARA net on first Sunday nights.
- CW round table for on-the-air operating practice, 8:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Meet on W4NJA 147.060 repeater at 8:00 to get instructions. Stay tuned on these nights for info about a “Grass Roots” CW class to be organized in the near future.
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services meetings are held at 7:00 pm on 3rd Thursdays, 3700 Coleman Road EOC building in the Jack Johnston meeting room.
- The Annual PARA Christmas Dinner will be held at Casa Mexicana restaurant 6pm, Monday, December 11th. The dinner will replace the December Monthly Meeting.
- For sale by John Hudson KO4XJ: 10 element Cushcraft 2m beam $40.